Julia qualified in the City’s largest magic circle firm, specialising in Residential Property and Commercial Property. Whilst there she started her specialisation of acting for overseas investors in English property. Julia later joined a prestigious Lincoln’s Inn firm where she expanded her residential property experience to include acting for landed estates. During the 1990s, Julia travelled both nationally and internationally, particularly to Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong, where she developed a considerable client base of investor clients seeking all aspects of UK residential property and focused on lender requirements, being client partner for two prominent private banks in London. Julia continues to act for many of these overseas clients to this day and, in October 2015, was conferred the Malaysian title and honour “Datoship” for her legal services to Malaysian clients. Her full Malaysian title is Dato’ Julia Wilson, D.S.A.P (Honorary).
As a partner for 9 years in London law firms, Julia also built up a significant expertise in residential leasehold enfranchisement, lease extension work acting for London block management companies, enforcement and general lease negotiation. Building on experience Julia gained in relation to inheritance tax and succession issues while advising on the structuring of property investments, she wrote the theses required to qualify as a full member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners in 2006. Julia offers private client, wills and probate advice to local, national and international clients, both expatriates working abroad and overseas investor clients neither resident nor domiciled in the UK. She is very experienced in complex probates involving property and other assets, especially those with a foreign element (for example, the deceased or the deceased’s beneficiaries resident abroad and/or some of the deceased’s property situate abroad). She has also developed an understanding of Sharia Laws of Succession.
Examples of Julia’s work include:
- Purchase and sale of high value residential property both freehold and leasehold in London and elsewhere throughout England and Wales
- Lease extension and enfranchisement of blocks of flats and acting as company secretary for block management companies and advising on legal aspects of management of the building
- First registration of unregistered land at the Land Registry, especially in relation to rural land and advising on rights and covenants affecting land and development potential
- Preparing Wills and Trusts for UK and non-UK resident/domiciled individuals and liaising with foreign advisers on forced heirship issues applying under local law (Sharia Law, French Law, etc.)
- Declarations of Trust of property and family property arrangements
- Preparing Lasting Powers of Attorney and advising generally on elderly client issues
- Obtaining Grant of Probate/Letters of Administration and administering deceased’s’ estates